Arugula Salad with Oranges and Walnuts, tossed with a Balsamic Orange Vinaigrette
Claire Criscuolo, restaurateur
- 8-10 cups arugula, about ½ pound
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Organic Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed would be nice
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- pinch of cayenne, ground red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
Pick off only the thick stems from the arugula, leaving the tender, thin stems. Fill the sink with plenty of cold water, then add the arugula, swishing the leaves around in the water, to loosen any grit. Lift the arugula out of the sink and into a colander set in a bowl. Repeat until no sand is left behind in the sink. Make the dressing. Measure the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and orange juice into a blender cup. Add the garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cover and blend on high speed for 5-7 seconds until the dressing is creamy looking. Taste for seasonings.
Place the arugula into a salad bowl. Scatter the orange zest, orange pieces, and walnuts over the top. Pour the dressing evenly over the salad, using a rubber spatula to scrape the blender cup. Toss the salad using two wooden spoons to coat the salad with dressing. Serve immediately.