Carrots Braised with Fennel
1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, trimmed and julienned
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut the same size as the carrots
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, chopped
Heat butter and oil together in a large saucepan until the butter melts. Add the carrots and fennel and stir to coat. Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted.
Add the broth and wine, raise the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes more, or until the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are fork tender.
Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with the chopped fronds, and serve
right away. Serves 4.
Source: Wise, The Gardeners’ Community Cookbook.
Fennel & Mushroom Stuffing
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 oz sliced portabella mushrooms
- 4 oz sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 large (1 lb) fennel bulb, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fennel leaves
- 2 cups dried bread cubes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
Heat oil in skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms and cook on medium heat until mushrooms are browned. Add fennel and sauté until tender, but slightly crunchy. Stir in fennel leaves and bread cubes. Add chicken broth to moisten stuffing.
Makes 6 servings